BAPTISM IS ABOUT GOING PUBLIC WITH YOUR FAITH IN JESUS. IT COMMUNICATES TO THE WORLD YOUR DESIRE TO FOLLOW HIM.
We believe that baptism is the next step after salvation. Often times people have questions about baptism: Why should I be baptized? If I've already been baptized should I do it again? What difference does it make if someone is sprinkled or dunked? If you have questions about baptism, take a few minutes to read through some common questions below. You can also sign up to be baptized and someone from our team will contact you about this next step.
1. WHAT IS BAPTISM? Baptism is an outward expression of an inward change. It's an announcement that Jesus has changed your life. It doesn't save a person; it's a symbol and celebration of salvation.
2. WHY SHOULD I BE BAPTIZED? Jesus, himself, was baptized. Not only that, but He also instructs us to be baptized as well. When we are baptized, it is a public demonstration that we have turned away from a life of sin and embraced the life of Jesus, the only one who can change us.
3. WHEN'S THE BEST TIME TO BE BAPTIZED? Anyone who commits his or her life to following Jesus is ready to be baptized. If you have decided to follow Jesus, baptism is your next step.
4. DO YOU BAPTIZE CHILDREN? While parents can help point their children to Jesus, they are the ones who must decided if they will commit their lives to Him. The step of baptism follows a person's decision to trust Jesus for his or her salvation. At Greenmonte, we wait until children are old enough to express their own decision to follow Jesus and understand the meaning of baptism.
5. WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN IMMERSING, SPRINKLING AND OTHER WAYS OF BAPTIZING? At Greenmonte, we practice baptism by immersion (i.e. submerged in water). Submersion in the water symbolizes the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. Being submersed underwater represents our death to sin and old way of life, and being raised out of the water is a picture of how Jesus raised us and gave us a fresh start in life.
6. DO I NEED TO BE BAPTIZED AGAIN? If you haven't been baptized by immersion since you decided to follow Jesus, we want to help you take your next step of being baptized. Once you've taken that step, there's no need to be baptized again. God never asks us to take a step that isn't good for us. He always gives us more than we deserve or can imagine.